Down at the Engine Shed
While you are at Ludborough don’t forget to visit the engine shed, where we carry out the maintenance and restoration work on our locomotive fleet. The shed is open to the public on most running days when staff are in attendance. We also offer guided tours – please ask for more information when you visit.
We currently have two operational steam locomotives – ‘Fulstow’ No 2 and ‘Spitfire’, which take it in turns to work our services between Ludborough and North Thoresby.
‘Fulstow’ is a Peckett 0-4-0 (makers number 1749) built in 1928. She spent her working life at Cawdor Quarry, Matlock until withdrawal in 1970. She was restored by Peter Clark in the village of Fulstow in 1988 and was then sold to Great Northern Locomotives Ltd in 1997. Fulstow was overhauled by volunteers at Ludborough in 2010, all the work was undertaken on site by ourselves, including the boiler work.
‘Spitfire’ is a Barclay 0-4-0 saddle tank built in 1929, she spent all her working life in the chemical industry at Trafford Park in Manchester, finally working for CPC. After withdrawal in the 1970s she was preserved at the Manchester Museum of Science and Technology and since 1984 has resided at several heritage railways before moving to Ludborough. Spitfire’s ten-year overhaul was completed in December 2015 and is now back in service at the LWR.
Two more steam locos are in line for restoration in the loco shed:
0-6-0 Tank No. 7597 ‘Zebedee’ was built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorn at Newcastle upon Tyne in 1949. She worked at Rye House power station before entering preservation at the Chapel & Wakes Colne Railway. She later moved to the Great Central Railway, where she ran services in the early years. ‘Zebedee’ was then hired out to several lines including the Bodmin and Wenford before being sold to Peak Rail, where her 10-year ticket expired. She gained the name ‘Zebedee’ because of the effect of the unusual coil-spring suspension! She arrived at the LWR in 2014 where restoration work has restarted in earnest. Work so far has included stripping the loco down to basic component parts, the chassis has had many hours of prep work and paint and the axle boxes have been repaired. The frames have been re-united with the wheels and a start made on the machining of new bearings for the motion. All the valve gear has been overhauled and refitted, the front of the loco is being cleaned and painted ready for the valves to go back in the steam chests, and the cab and bunker have been sprayed up to undercoat ready for glossing, then the cab will be lined out and refitted to the frames.
‘Lion’ is now the only remaining ‘E’ Class Peckett. She was delivered new to Woolwich Arsenal in 1914, along with sister engine ‘Tiger’ – sadly now scrapped. Lion was built as a trip-working loco with larger wheels and longer wheelbase than the other standard Pecketts, which makes her much better suited for passenger work. ‘Lion’ came to Ludborough in early 1998 after service at the Foxfield Railway in Staffordshire. She performed all our passenger duties until being taken out of traffic for a major overhaul. Restoration work is slowly progressing with the overhaul of the frames. The running boards are about to be removed for replacement and work to be started on overhauling the very worn axle boxes shortly. The boiler will need considerable work doing and is going to be a costly exercise, so the overhaul of this loco is likely to be lengthy due to funding.
We also have two working diesel shunters that are regularly used for moving stock and on the permanent way work train.
British Rail Class 08 Diesel Electric Shunter D3167 was built at Derby works in 1955 and spent most of her working life at Lincoln Central Station. For several years after withdrawal D3167 stood on a plinth just outside Lincoln Station before moving to the LWR. Since being put back into working order, she has given many years of excellence service. She has had a full engine service over the Winter and new hardwood cab doors are being made.
‘Debbie’ is an 0-6-0 Diesel Mechanical Shunter DL2 (Works No. 3151), built by G. Bagnall at the company’s Stafford works in 1962. She arrived at Ludborough in Spring 2015 from the Appleby-Frodingham Railway Preservation Society based at Scunthorpe Steelworks.